Saturday, August 15, 2015

Birthday party

While Daddy and Owen wandered off for a timely walk, some birthday elves decorated the campsite.

It looks like he was surprised and pleased. I just love his open-mouth smile. So cute!

This year I made a birthday book of photos and memories from the year Owen was seven. It was such a joy putting the book together. Scrolling through photos of this past year, I see how much this boy has grown. Physically, of course--he's so tall! But in many other quiet, tender ways, too. At birthday time, I find there's a kind of letting go of who your child was--the sweet way they pronounced certain words ("burger" and "sure") or the topics that interested them most (animals and lego). The way they laughed, and the things that made them cry. What a privilege it is to be Owen's mama. He teaches me every day. There is a depth and clarity of insight in him that constantly surprise me. He is a wise and gentle soul.

A special prayer of blessing from Pa.

Nana pulling a birthday cake (!!!!) out of her bag of tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment