Tuesday, April 2, 2013

thunder cake

A few weeks ago, Owen's teachers read Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco to the class. Owen came home so excited about the book, especially the recipe for a thunder cake which included, according to him, strawberries, chocolate, and tomatoes. Can you blame me for thinking the kid had gotten his recipes mixed up?

A few days later we had a rainy day full of loud cracking thunder. Oh, how I miss rainy days. Perfect for tea and a book. And so very rare here in Denver. 

Anyway, like a good Mama, I dutifully looked for Owen's weirdo recipe online and sure enough, it calls for that bizarre combination of ingredients, clearly some kind of 1960s recipe that has been buried over time. It may sound gross, but this cake was actually delicious! You don't taste the tomatoes; they just add a sort of mellow tart sweetness, and moisture, too. (I used butter in place of shortening, and canned tomato puree.) I added this fabulous and easy Instant Fudge Frosting



Next time a thunderstorm rolls into your neck of the woods,
read the book and give this recipe a whirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment