Sunday, April 7, 2013

chickens

One step closer to our dream: the urban homestead! 
(We'd prefer a real homestead, but bloom where you're planted, right?)


 


We started out with four, but one died within 24 hours. It was the tiniest one in the batch, with bits of egg shell still glued to its back. I was concerned because it was weak and listless from the start but it was the last Gold Laced Wyandotte in the store and the salesperson convinced me to buy it. Watching it die was not fun. I'm glad the kids were at school when it happened. 

Our first lesson in chicken-keeping: Don't get too attached! We decided to get three more to round out our flock. 





Did you know there are lots of different breeds of chickens, and that they lay different colored eggs? 

We got a White Leghorn (white eggs), a Buff Orpington (light brown), a Black Sexlink (brown), a Rhode Island Red (brown), a Plymouth Barred Rock (brown eggs; also known as the "Zebra" chicken--of course Owen was desperate for one when he heard that!) and an Ameraucana (green or blue eggs!). 



The Ameraucana is SO pretty. It has the loveliest fluffy down with pretty stripes and blue eyes. Doesn't it look like it's wearing eyeliner? I want to name it either Husky or Adele.


Aren't they cute?

1 comment:

Jonalee said...

oooooooh your chicks! I'm so sorry one of them died. My kids would be heartbroken. They are SO adorable. Americana's are so beautiful. I'd love to get one. You will have the prettiest eggs.

Post a Comment